Foundation for the Development of the University of Gdańsk was established on the 10th of February 1991 by the notarial deed signed by:
- Lech Wałęsa – the President of the Republic of Poland;
- Archbishop Tadeusz Gocłowski – diocesan of the Diocese in Gdańsk;
- Bishop Marian Przykucki – diocesan of the Diocesein Chełmża;
- Maciej Płażyński – Governor of Gdańsk;
- Zbigniew Grzonka – Rector of the University of Gdańsk.
The Foundation was registered in the District Court of Warsaw and it started operating on the 31st of October in 1991. The first Chairman of the Management Board was Andrzej Friedrich (1991-1993).
In 1994-2004 Anna Żuchowska took over the Chairman responsibility. Since the 1st of September 2004 till the 20th of May 2015 Tomasz Żelazny was the chairman of the Foundation. Currently the Chairman position is represented by Andrzej Letkiewicz.